The National Library & Archives of Bhutan
Welcome to the website
of the National Library & Archives of Bhutan.
Aims & Objectives
The National Library of Bhutan has the goal that all Bhutanese,
wherever they are, will have access to both Bhutan's documentary
heritage and to the information resources of the world. To achieve
this, the National Library builds up and maintains a national collection
of Bhutanese materials with the aim to provide an effective gateway
to national and international resources of information in the near
The Library was established in 1967 and merged with the National
Commission for Cultural Affairs in 1985. The National Library carries
out the following functions:
- Collection and preservation of ancient Bhutanese Literature
on religion, cultural, history & social traditions.
- Provision of facilities for research and other academic pursuits.
- Preservation of old and rare books & manuscripts
- Preservation of traditional xylographic blocks.
- Research and documentation of literary works and stories inherited
through traditional and oral communication methods.
- Promotion and publishing of literary works on traditional and
This website is a small step towards making Bhutan's documentary
and archival heritage available to the nation and the world at