- Be a central agency for preservation, protection and promotion of the literary and scriptural heritage of Bhutan.
- To collect and preserve the literary heritage of the kingdom of Bhutan.
- To manage the diverse knowledge resources and ensure their sustainable preservation and development.
- To disseminate information about the stored and procured literary wealth through services and publications;
- To work as a national referral, depository house and bibliographic center of country’s literary heritage;
- To coordinate with the other libraries in a country to develop a national library system.